Wednesday, October 24, 2012

My Favourite Halloween-time Films

It's that time of year everybody!  Spooks and spells and scares.  So, in preparation for Halloween next Wednesday, I have accumulated my list of favourite films to watch this time of year.  It pretty much goes for all of these that I could watch them any month.  But they each mean something to make it to my personal top 15.  Some of them are scary, some are silly, but I enjoy them all.  So here they are, in alphabetical order:

The Addams Family
They're creepy and they're kooky, mysterious and spooky.  They're all together ooky...  This is such a classic campy film.  It's not particularly a scary film, unless you're an impressionable young child.  I just love that they are all their own unique characters and it's just a fun film to watch.

Beetlejuice
For the longest time when I was younger, my mum refused to let me watch this film.  It is a bit unnerving, but hey, that's Tim Burton for you.  This is another of the campier films on my list.  One of my favourite scenes is the seance where Beetlejuice sort of possess everyone, making them sing and dance.

Dawn of the Dead (1978)
George Romero (and Tom Savini for the make-up world) is rather like a god in the horror world.  This was one of the first zombie films I saw.  This is such a classic for me.  Every time I go to a mall, it makes me think of this.  I also enjoy the new Dawn of the Dead, for the most part.  I just can't get past running zombies.

Drag Me to Hell
This is one of the few newer films that has actually gave me the creeps.  Not too many horror films scare me much anymore.  Nowadays, it's more so about the gore and shock factor (hello, Saw).  The ending was predictable for me, but I still loved this nonetheless.

The Evil Dead
Okay, okay, another campy film.  I know!  But this is such a cult classic!  I love the whole series, so I'm going to be naughty and count three films as one.  I love all the ridiculousness of these and I can't wait to see what they do with the remake.  Hopefully it will keep to the same sense since Sam Raimi.

 Ginger Snaps
I was first introduced to this movie around Halloween when I was still in high school.  I was watching Night of the Living Dead (1968) and this came on afterwards.  The opening is such a gross way to start a film and I love it.

Halloween
Another classic horror film.  I really enjoyed Rob Zombie's remake, but for the list I'm going with the original.  From the eerie music to the unnerving way Michael Myers just walks slowly after his prey, this is a great suspense choice.

Halloweentown
So here is my more child-friendly choice of movies.  Again for this, I enjoyed the whole series (though I hate when they change the main character in one of the sequels, even though I like the new actress).  This is a cute film to watch with the whole family.  Who says Halloween has to be completely about scares?

Hocus Pocus
Hocus Pocus is another film that my mum didn't let me watch for quite awhile.  She thought it was scary and didn't realize that it was more so comedic than creepy.  I must say, this might be my number one film that I have to watch no matter what every Halloween.  My best friend and I would quote it constantly.  I just can't get enough of it.

Land of the Dead
Though I suppose I could technically lump this in with Dawn of the Dead, I decided to give it it's own spot.  Here's another piece of George Romero genius.  This is such a great zombie film.  I love the fact that he evolved them a bit, allowing them to keep the basic instincts from their former lives.

A Nightmare on Elm Street
I must say, I believe Freddy Krueger is my favourite horror film killer.  He's such a sick, sadistic individual.  I love the way he messes with his victims minds.  I really want to lump in New Nightmare with this one, since it's so amazing.  It is close to the first movie in awesomeness.  I just love the whole idea behind it.  So if you're a Freddy fan, check it out.  The remake of the first movie was pretty good, though I couldn't get past the changes in Freddy's face.  I know he looks more like a real burn victim, but I was just so used to seeing the way he used to look.

Scream
This was one of the first scary movies I saw when I was just getting into them.  I was at a sleepover with a bunch of girls and we freaked ourselves out so much that we couldn't sleep.  Nowadays, it's not so scary for me.  But I still love all four films in the series.

Shaun of the Dead
How's this for a slice of fried gold?  I absolutely love Shaun of the Dead.  It's such a fun change to see the zombie world through the eyes of fanboys.  It's humorous, the zombies look great, and it's just so fun.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Good ol' Leatherface.  Here's another twisted individual.  Though a lot of that could be blamed on his family.  This film is creepy in the fact that, hey, it could really happen.  Plus that mask made of skin is just so wrong.

Zombieland
And finally, Zombieland.  This is another favourite of mine.  I know I have a lot of zombie movies on here but I can't help it.  I adore them so much and this is such a fantastic one.  This I suppose could also be placed in the campy category, but it does have a few suspenseful moments.  Plus Jesse Eisenberg is so endearing as the sort of anti-hero.

I tried to narrow it down, which was quite difficult in the end.  So there was my top fifteen films that I enjoy watching this time of year (though many of them I could watch all year, and do!).  Wondering what ones slipped from the list in favour of the ones above?

Here's my close, but no cigar choices:
~The Craft (This is eery at times.  Especially towards the end when Fairuza Balk's feet drag across the floor.  It gets me every time.)

~The Nightmare Before Christmas (I know this is a classic for everyone, but it just wasn't enough for me this year.)

~Stay Alive (I'm not a gamer, but even this film creeps me out.  The thought behind it is intriguing and the Countess gives me nightmares.  It's even 'loosely' based on a true Countess.)

~The Rocky Horror Picture Show (This isn't necessarily Halloween-y, but it's certainly campy enough.  Since I watch this film any time of the year, I decided to keep it off the main list.)

~Planet Terror (I love zombie films, and this is such a great one.  But, there were a few zombie ones that just mean a little more to me than this.  Again, I could watch this any time of the year.)

~Fido (Another zombie film.  I love the campy-ness of it as well as the gorgeous setting.  I can't help loving a 1950's vibe.)

What are your Halloween time must have films?  Are they all scary or do you have a few cheesy ones thrown in there like me?

No comments:

Post a Comment