Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Style Crush: Ginger Rogers

In preparation for WWII Weekend coming up June 7-9, the next two Style Crushes will be old Hollywood starlets.

This week is one of my favourite classic actresses, the lovely and amazingly talented triple-threat, Ginger Rogers.




Ginger, to me, can pretty much pull off any look and look flawlessly in them.  In Top Hat, she's a desirable model being pursued, in Stage Door she's a no-nonsense actress, and in Primrose Path she plays a tomboy.




Her wardrobe in films and for photos is just so amazing.  The gowns, the two piece suits, the hats!




I absolutely adore this casual trouser look she's wearing above!  I need to recreate this.  Ginger is sheer perfection here to me.  I have lots of vintage and vintage looking dresses, skirts, and shirts; but I don't have trousers like this!  Thankfully I've got a Butterick pattern with four different high waisted looks that I need to get on making.  And we must talk about that hat with the snood!



I don't know what it is about her in casual looks, but she just looks so amazing in them.  The polka dot halter top and white shorts with tennis shoes is just such a cute summer look!


This green gown is the sweetest confection!  I love the colour to start, since green and purple are my favourite.  Then throw in the lace and ribbon trim and it's just so lovely.

Ginger and her films will always hold a special place in my heart and serve as style inspiration.

And now I will leave you with Bob Thaves' famous quote about Fred Astaire and Ginger: "Sure he was great, but don't forget Ginger Rogers did everything he did backwards...and in high heels!"


No comments:

Post a Comment